Maybe it is hard to believe! But Java has been around for more than 16 years. So It is not new to the market, but it is still a very sought after skill in software development and IT world. A lot of corporations are seeking to hire Java developers at different seniority levels. Because Java had proven to be the best solution for their business.
What Does Java Mean?
In the past decade, Java started to grow in many different directions. By its growth, a lot of arguments concerning Java’s portability, efficiency, and business politics took place.
To put it shortly, Java is an open-source programming language with a well-defined API set that also calls libraries. With a meta-platform like Java, you can promote and facilitate participant-controlled value transformation across and among other platforms. Java was initially designed to have as few implementation dependencies as possible, which led to the term “write once, run anywhere” (WORA).
This is important because it gives a homogeneous view of an inherently heterogeneous network. Java provided important, seamless, and invisible software distribution across the net providing a groundbreaking opportunity to run a program anywhere.
Based on recent data, Java is used in 2.6% of all websites whose server-side programming is known, and has been running on 3 billion devices. While the language doesn’t seem to be used by many sites, it is used by sites with high traffic almost exclusively. Well-known websites that rely on Java include LinkedIn, Chase, Salesforce.com, and Indeed.com. Both UPS.com and IRS.gov recently began using Java as well.
You can use java in so many different ways and on many platforms and devices, such as:
- Mobile applications (specially Android apps)
- Desktop applications
- Web applications
- Web servers and application servers
- Database connection
What Are the Benefits of Using Java?
Java brought many benefits to the IT world including fast and secure programming, cross platform participant-controlled value transformation, and more. Because the program is open-source and free there is a huge community supporting Java. The chart below summarizes the benefits of hiring a Java specialist in your IT team:
These are the reasons why Java is such strong platform specially in application development:
- Java-based applications are fast and scalabile, so the dynamic processing speed is used in software, games, and mobile apps (particularly for Android).
- Java is a statically typed language; therefore, the degree of safety and stability is higher than other popular programming languages. Java’s security and stability are necessary for companies that require notable bandwidth in their software and apps.
- No talent shortage. Java is an easy language to break into, and many new programmers learn it before other programming languages, though it takes time to master. Due to its efficiency of use, there are many Java developers for companies to hire.
Java Developers Skills and Job Description
Now that we understand Java, we will talk about a Java developer’s roles and responsibilities.
A Java developer is responsible for the development, design, and management of java-based applications.
In many situations, a Java developer’s job description goes beyond simple computer programming. Sometimes the Java developers:
- Need to take part in the whole software development life-cycle (SDLC)
- Attempt to enhance the overall product by investigating alternative ways and technologies to achieve the overall goal
If the organization you are in follows the Agile methodology, most likely, several IT teams work on individual projects.
The Java developer will report to a senior project manager or an overall IT manager.
Based on their expertise, there are three levels for Java developers:
- Entry-level Java developers
- Mid-level developers
- Senior Java developers
In the chart below we are looking at three different levels of Java expertise and their responsibilities:
|Java Developer Level||Job Requirements|
|Entry-level Java developers||– 1-2 years of job experience in Java or any programming language|
– Basic knowledge of object-oriented programing along with core and advanced concepts with Servlet and JSP
– A little bit of knowledge about front-end development
– Better be assigned to work on the program architecture
|Mid-level Java developers||– +5 years of experience in Java technology.|
– Responsible for project development
|Senior Java developers||– +10 years of experience in Java|
– Responsible for the overall function of the project
– Securing seamless programming architecture
– Team Management
There are two sets of skills for Java developers:
- The Professional Skills
- The Technical Skills
- The professional skill set of a Java developer include the standard software development skills:
- Planning and determination
- Designing and developing applications using the Java EE platform
- Object-oriented interpretation and intention using common design patterns
- The profound insight of Java and JEE internals such as memory management, transaction management, etc
- Secure designs comply with specifications
- Prepare and produce releases of software components
- Support continuous improvement by investigating alternatives and technologies and presenting these for architectural review
- Implementation of API
- Problem-solving abilities, logical mind, and a positive attitude
- Test-driven development Familiarity
- Spring, Spring Boot, and Hibernate expertise
- Excellent understanding of Relational Databases, SQL, and ORM technologies (JPA2, Hibernate).
- Developing REST API understanding
- Risk identification and managing relief action planning
- Focused on meeting deliverable timelines
- Good communication skills
- Problem-solving attitude
- Prioritization abilities
- A good listener and a good team player
- An eager learner of new concepts, technologies, and skills
- The Technical skill set of a Java developer include the specific technological skills:
- Enterprise Java Bean (EJB)
- XML, Xquery, XSL
- Linux/Unix Windows Platform
- Oracle database SQL and JDBC
- Java XML Parsing, Coding
- Service-Oriented Architecture
- I Text for RTF Generation
- Java-based Web services
- Java Servlet Technology
- JSP, jQuery, Ajax
- Understand Java EE Architecture
- Manage Persistence using JPA entities and Bean Validation
- Implement business logic using EJBs
- Use Java Message Service API
- Implement SOAP Services using JAX-WS and JAXB APIs
- Create Java Web Applications using Servlets and JSPs
- Implement REST Services using JAX-RS API
- Create Java Applications using WebSockets
- Develop Web Applications using JSFs
- Secure Java EE 7 Applications
- Use CDI Beans, concurrency API, and Batch API
A Java developer’s duties and job description may be different based on their role and the company they are working at. Here, we listed some of the typical responsibilities:
- For mission-critical systems, it’s usually needed to develop, implement and maintain Java applications that are high-volume and low latency
- Achieving high-level availability and performance
- Participating in all stages of the development lifecycle
- The code should be well-designed, efficient, and testable
- Convoying software analysis, programming, testing, and debugging
- Managing Java and Java EE application development
- Aligning designs with specifications
- Development, production, and release of software segments
- Continuous improvement and support
- Performing architectural review
What Can You Expect from WINaTALENT’s Java Experts?
Our purpose and goal is to give solutions to different software development and IT groups. The Java developers in our talent pool have the ability to drastically improve application functioning within a business through the speed and scalability of their solutions.
However, our Java developers find themselves working beyond programming and take part in the full software development lifecycle.
WINaTALENT Java Developers’ Job Expectations and Responsibilities:
According to the project owners and stakeholders’ understanding and overall vision, they require the skills of a Java developer. Therefore, during this process, one of the most critical responsibilities of the Java developer is program architecture.
A Java developer needs to communicate and work closely with the planning team, including stakeholders, project manager, or senior Java developer to gather the requirements and start working on the project.
To start the programming journey, Java developers need to figure out essential tasks, manage the overall scope of work, and determine the course of action.
A Java developer begins writing the code in the development phase which ultimately results in a completed program.
This step includes feature development and allowing testing and amending as needed.
The goal here is to ensure each part of the code works the way it is supposed to. Then, when each feature is completed, the Java developer will test and debug it.
Deployment is where the code gets transferred to a live environment, and it should be fully functional for deployment. Plus, any needed changes are made in the testing environment, including reverting and redeployment. This is where the technical skills we mentioned above are needed. Therefore, a Java developer should be well versed in one or many of those skills.
Maintaining and Optimizing Systems
A Java developer’s responsibility does not end after the programme is complete. Java Developers are required to maintain active systems and identify opportunities for efficacy within the current software platform.
Leading and Liaising
If you require a senior Java developer, they will be tasked with several roles and responsibilities that offer ownership of the project and results.
To fulfil this responsibility, they need to be a part of the team that liaises with stakeholders and beta team testers to ensure a seamless end-user experience. The senior Java developer should add, remove, and debug features necessary to the project’s overall success by securing feedback from testers and visionaries.
A senior Java developer is a team leader who may assign these responsibilities to other developers who focus singularly on program architecture.
The Senior leads the team. They need to understand the vision, the overall scope, and how to achieve the results in the project. They are also responsible for finding the right people and see the project through to completion and deliver according to scope and deadlines.
Senior Java developer’s new ideas can affect the stakeholder’s side of the development. This may lead them to become the key contact for vendors who enhance the current project with their services and specific expertise.
Java Developers in a lead role needs to have the following skills:
- Conceptualizing vendor management strategy
- Developing selection criteria and processes
- Preparing an RFQ questionnaire and other bid documents
- Evaluating offers and negotiating with vendors
- Selecting vendors and maintaining relationships
- Employing a strategy for vendor accountability
According to what we discussed above, by hiring a skilled Java developer for your app or software development, you have many opportunities to have a successful journey.
WINaTALENT’s talent pool can provide you with talented experts and help you build a Java development team you can grow your whole business upon.
6 thoughts on “Java Developers: Job Description, Responsibilities, and Skills”
This could be used as a reference. For a long time we have heard ftom here and there that JAVA based applications are not easy to handle and are expensive hardware wise. This article gave me an insight about Java development. Besides, for someone looking for such an opportunity this can be a useful guide.
This is useful and informative. If I may suggest, there are new technologies that utilities the wora idea such as docker. You can next write about that and then compare this two together.
I have always been curious about Java and its applications and this has been a great help. Thank you.
This particular blog is obviously interesting as well as amusing.
I have discovered a bunch of handy tips out of this source.
I’ad love to visit it over and over again.
I think Java is a general-purpose programming language that follows the object-oriented programming paradigm and the Write Once Run Anywhere approach. Thank you for sharing this article.
Can a Magento developer freelance apart from their regular job?
Magento developers can also freelance apart from their 9 to 5 jobs. Many companies do not allow their employees to work with rival or corresponding companies, but at Eiliana, you can freelance while keeping your identity anonymous. If you are a skilled freelance Magento developer, Eiliana can help you find quality clients.